Motorcycle Roadworthy Certificates
Platinum Motorcycles is a VicRoads licensed vehicle tester (11261MC) with over 15 years experience in the motorcycle industry. We provide Roadworthy Certificates (RWC) every week day (Monday to Friday) and also Saturday mornings until 1.00pm. We are based in the suburb of Keilor East. Inspections normally completed within one hour so you can choose to wait while the inspection is being undertaken.
The Motorcycle RWC inspection
The RWC inspection is a check of the motorcycle to ensure that the key components are in a fit condition for safe road use. It includes:
- wheels and tyres
- steering, suspensions and braking systems
- lights and reflectors
- windscreen (when appropriate)
- vehicle structure
- other safety related items on the body, chassis or engine.
VicRoads identifies the required standards for all vehicles: VSI26 - Roadworthiness requirements [PDF 415 Kb], outlines this - with variations for motorcycles as required.
What happens if my motorcycle fails the RWC inspection?
If a motorcycle fails a RWC inspection then you are given 7 days to repair or replace the defect. Platinum Motorcycles will provide you with full information on the defects that need to be fixed to pass the RWC. We can also provide you with a quote for any work that needs to be done.
After the repair work has been completed to a satisfactory level a RWC will be issued. It is important to note that if the defects are not fixed within 7 days a second full RWC inspection will need to be undertaken.
What doesn't a Motorcycle Roadworthy Certificate cover?
The roadworthiness test is not a check of the mechanical reliability or general condition of the vehicle.
The certificate does not mean:
- that the motorcycle is in top condition without any wear or deterioration
- non-safety related accessories are working
- that the items checked during the roadworthy inspection will continue to function after the inspection e.g. a brake light can stop functioning at any time after the inspection.
The RWC test is not a complete assessment of a motorcycle's compliance with the Standards for Registration, which in most cases are the Australian Design Rules (ADRs). The ADRs are a set of minimum standards for the construction of all types of vehicles (including motor cycles). Compliance with these standards cannot be assessed by a RWC inspection alone.
If you require a comprehensive motorcycle inspection, Platinum Motorcycles can provide a full independent inspection report. Visit our workshop at 1/33 Slater Parade, Keilor East, call us on (03) 9336 7278 or email to find out more about our full inspection reports.
We are open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm and Saturday 9.00am to 1.00pm
Is there anything I can check myself before I bring my motorcycle in for a RWC inspection?
Some of the basic things you can check before you bring your motorcycle in for a Roadworthy Certificate inspection include:
- make sure there is no oil dripping from the motorcycle
- tyres must have over 1.5mm of tread
- horn must be working
- headlight, stop tail and dash lights must all be working
- indicators must be in working order
Can I book a Mobile Motorcycle Roadworthy in Melbourne?
Legally, all roadworthy checks in Victoria must be done at a licensed garage. As such, a mobile motorbike rwc service in Melbourne is not possible.
To assist riders who find they can't find time to get to a licensed garage, Platinum Motorcycles offers a collection and drop-off service. This service provides the same results as a mobile motorbike roadworthy, whilst still conforming to the letter of the law.
Our RWC collection and Drop-Off service will:
- Send a vehicle to pick-up your bike (no we don't ride it)
- Perform the RWC at our licensed garage
- Inform you of any defects and if requested make necessary repairs
- Return your bike with its roadworthy certificate
CONTACT US IN REGARDS TO PICK AND DROP OFF.
Extremely nice and genuine mechanics over here, they do not take extra amount for any repair or RWC, I strongly recommend Platinuim motorcycle for all sort of bike and scooters repair and RWC, very honest staff and very low prices.